I HAVE BEEN CHARGED WITH A DWI/DUI IN ONTARIO. IS THERE ANY CHANCE THAT I CAN GET THE CHARGES DROPPED?
If you plead guilty you will have a criminal records for the rest of your life subject to getting a suspension of conviction, or what was once called a “pardon”. It is well known, that criminal records may affect you in a myriad of ways.
You May Have Problems With Employment & Border Crossings
For instance, an employment opportunity may come to a stand still or you may have added difficulties at the boarder.
Drunk driving charges are difficult to defend and a Hamilton defense lawyer must be thorough and detailed in assessing the evidence, or what’s referred to as Crown disclosure. Additionally, sometimes Charter arguments will have to be brought, which may help your case or completely dismiss the charge altogether.
- Some issues that may arise in your case are: did the police have a valid reason for stopping your vehicle?
- Did the police officer make a formal demand as required? Did you understand the Police and your rights?
- Did the police use an Approved Screening Device?
- Was the machine an Approved Instrument and calibrated/maintained properly?
- Should evidence be excluded under s. 24(2) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Drinking And Driving Penalties Are Very Expensive
These are some questions that need to be addressed. There are many inconvenient and expensive penalties for drinking and driving and therefore it is necessary to put your best foot forward if and when faced with these charges. Our lawyers are no stranger to defending “impaired driving”, “over 80”, and “refusing to provide a breath sample” charge and we welcome you reaching out to us for a free initial consultation.