Sexual Assault Charges In The Hamilton Area
Sex crimes such as sexual assault, Internet pornography charges, voyeurism and a host of other related charges all carry with them a large amount of stigma, even greater than most alleged crimes. Even being accused can affect your life, and the life of your family.
At Bernstein Law Group, we don't assume anything about your guilt or your worth as a person because of the charge you are facing. We defend you and your rights and listen to your side of the story.
Knowing What You're Facing
One of the first things our lawyers will discuss with you is the consequences facing you if you are convicted, or plead guilty. The penalties can include:
- Incarceration: Depending on the seriousness of the charge, you may be facing a lengthy time behind bars, especially if there are aggravating factors such as bodily harm or use of weapons. If the alleged victim is underage, elderly, disabled or vulnerable in some way, or if you had a position of trust or power such as teacher, parent, caregiver or supervisor, the Crown may seek the maximum penalties available.
- Sex offender registry: You may have to register your name onto the registry, which could prevent you from holding certain jobs or living in certain areas, or being within a certain distance from children or schools.
- Being barred from certain jobs: These can include particularly jobs such as teaching, counselling, or caregiving, or certain professions.
- Family fallout: If your charge is part of a domestic assault case, or if you are in the middle of a divorce with custody proceedings, your charge could have long-lasting consequences.
- Social stigma: This can be severe, not only for you but for your family.
We will examine the details of the incident and the evidence against you, including evidence from witnesses. What you decide to do will depend on the strength of the case against you and your priorities. It's important for you to understand exactly what you are facing before making any decisions.
If we determine that your best chance is in going to trial, we will defend you and cross-examine witnesses. If you decide that what is best is to plead, we will protect you from excessive penalties and find any opportunities to minimize the penalties, such as counselling or programs.