SAFE DRIVING TO PREVENT CAR ACCIDENTS
Unfortunately, sometimes accidents are unavoidable. Or, perhaps you have already been in a car accident, and that’s what brings you to looking for a lawyer. Regardless, it is helpful to practice defensive driving and the best practices when it comes to driving. For most people, driving will be the most dangerous thing they do, and the majority of our society finds themselves behind the wheel often.
DON’T DRIVE DISTRACTED
More than ever, drivers are distracted. With our busy lifestyles, the constant distractions from our cell phones and the various social media platforms, drivers are constantly looking at their phone. Because of this, parliament has enacted specific penalties for the use of cellphones, and correspondingly, the police, give out hefty fines on a regular basis. As personal injury lawyers, we have far too many clients walk into our office that have clearly been injured by a distracted driver. Don’t let yourself get distracted, and please focus on the road.
DEFENSIVE DRIVING TECHNIQUES
While most people may have heard “defensive driving” for the first time during drivers’ ed, and may very well be familiar with the various techniques, it can’t hurt to have a quick refresher. The following is a non-exhaustive list of some defensive driving techniques:
- Get the big picture. It is important to look as far down the road as possible at times, and keep your eyes moving. In other words, do not fixate on anything but rather you should scan your mirrors, look left, right, and down the road.
- Pay attention. It sounds common sense but it is important to stay focus and stay alert. Driving is largely a thinking task, and it includes a number of things you must think about at any given time. For instance, you must observe traffic laws, signs, other drivers, pedestrians, pot holes—and the list goes on. Staying focused while driving, and be attentive to the potential risks.
- This goes without saying—don’t have any alcohol or illegal drugs in your system. Sometimes over looked however are prescription drugs and over-the-counter drugs that can cause drowsiness and affect a driver’s reaction time. Driving while drowsy can be extremely dangerous and is a significant cause of accidents so it is important to watch what you ingest, read the label, and rest up before driving.
- Safety first and be aware of your surroundings. It is important to be aware of other drivers, as not everyone may be partaking in best practices when it comes to driving. Moreover, some other drivers could be intoxicated or not paying proper attention to the road. It is helpful to anticipate the actions of other drivers. You should assume that drivers will run through red lights and stop signs and be prepared to react. Wear a seatbelt.
- Leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you. This is often overlooked as today most people seem to be in such a rush, but the reality is, it may not be saving them any time, or maybe couple seconds at best, by following so close behind. Rear end collisions are rampant and by far the most popular type of car accident, and usually the most avoidable. So keep your distance.
- Do not speed. The speed limits that are posted are meant for ideal road and traffic conditions. Higher speeds make it more difficult to control your vehicle as well as more challenging to see potential dangers.
SHARPEN YOUR DRIVING SKILLS AND TAKE A COURSE
Almost every city in Ontario will offer drivers’ ed. If you have not taken a course already, or you need a refresher, we recommend you sign up for one of the courses. These courses do cost money but often times you will save money on insurance premiums, and be a safer driver.
CONTACT OUR OFFICE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS
Our law firm wishes everyone the safest driving. If you or a loved on has been met with the unfortunate event of a car accident, contact our office so we can begin protecting your rights. Our law firm is happy to provide you with a free no-obligation consultation.
Book a Free Consultation
Contact Us Today
WE'RE HERE TO HELP
PERSONAL INJURY LEGAL SERVICES
WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
No Obligations, We are here to help you!
Let our experienced and caring legal team help you with your legal needs. We specialize in criminal, real estate, and personal injury files.